Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Resolutions


It's that time of year when everyone is talking about changes they want to make for the New Year and review the progress of last year's resolutions. I can't remember what I resolved to do in 2009, except read one book a month. I ended up reading a total of 9 fiction books about probably about 5 soaping books. Even though I can't say I read the soaping books from cover to cover, I'm still counting it!

I touched on one of my resolutions for 2010 in the first post here: I want to expand this small soap business. Not by a lot, but my main goal is to get some customers that don't know me personally. And don't get me wrong - I LOVE selling/giving soaps to my friends and family, but there will be something different about having repeat business from someone I don't know.

Another big resolution is to start exercising and eating healthier. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in November after 3 months of some not so pleasant symptoms. There is no cure for Crohn's, but it can be controlled with diet and exercise. The only thing I am taking for it now is a really good pro-biotic. After reading about pro-biotics, I think everyone should be taking them like a daily vitamin - they are so good for your digestive system!

And my third big resolution is to do well in school. Yes, I am 33 years old and I am going back to school. I was laid off in September (ironically, on Employee Appreciation Day), and I have made the decision to go back to school to get my degree in Elementary Education. I have always wanted to be a teacher, but it was really difficult to support myself full time and go to school part time. I tried internet classes, but I found it really difficult to stay focused and motivated. I really need to be in a classroom setting. The timing of being laid off was perfect, and it just seemed like everything was falling in to place. It really was a no-brainer decision.

There are a couple of smaller resolutions I want to make for this year: I want my husband and I to actually eat at the kitchen table instead of using it as a catch-all for stuff we don't want to put away and end up eating on tray tables in front of the tv. I don't want to go to wake up with dirty dishes in the sink. And my husband and I should really finish our wedding album...I mean, it's been over 2 years already. I hope our photographer hasn't forgotten about us!

Hmmm....maybe based on that last one, I should resolve not to procrastinate anymore. Nah, I'll do that one next year.

1 comment:

Topcat said...

Lol.....I love your resolutions. They are each so realistic and achievable and I can see you will reach them all! Happy New Year :)